Friday, April 6, 2007

Good? Friday

When I was younger I was always confused by "Good" Friday
Even though my mom let my older brother and I off school to celebrate (meaning we would go to the woods behind our house and build a fort, throw rocks, play in mud, go fishing, or shoot squirrels with a BB-gun) I still didn't understand.

But "Why is it called Good Friday?" I thought
"Didn't Jesus die today?"..."Isn't that a Bad thing?"..."Isn't death always a bad thing?"

I don't remember the first time it clicked, the first time I truly understood why today is called Good Friday instead of Bad Friday. But, I still have trouble understanding why we call it "Good" Friday. Even though the implications of Jesus' death are becoming more and more clear to me every year, I still don't understand the title....

Good Friday...In what ways is it a good thing? It is not a good thing... Jesus' death is not a good thing. It is an AWESOME thing. It's Incredible, Supernatural, the Ultimate Love, Ultimate Sacrifice, and argueably the most important day in history. So why do we call it Good Friday?

I refuse. I will not call today Good Friday. Today is Awesome Friday...no wait, Today is Phenomenal Friday. Yeah...that's more like it.....who's with me?